Brief History of the Organization :
The Organization named as “Jewels International” was established at Bhubaneswar in the year 1977 to perform Social Service, Mass Education, and Public Vigilance Programmes. The Organization was registered under the Societies Registration Act. No. XXI of 1860, by the Registrar of Societies, Cuttack, on 27th July, 1977.
In the year 1985, the Organization decided to work for the education and rehabilitation of children with Intellectual Disability. On 18th August, 1985, the organization started a centre for identification of children with Intellectual disability at the Capital Hospital, Bhubaneswar, A Special School for the children with Intellectual Disability was established with the name ‘Chetana Institute for the Mentally Handicapped’ (CIMH) on 23rd June, 1986, at Bhubaneswar.
The organization started Training of Teachers for the Persons with Intellectual Disability at Diploma level, from the year 1989 with support from the National Institute for the Mentally Handicapped, Secunderabad. Presently, the Teachers Training Programme has been upgraded to Bachelor and Master Level. The programme is conducted under a new Institution called “Chetana College of Special Education”.
The organization has also conducted Community Based Rehabilitation programme for persons with disability in 22 Community Development Blocks of the State of Orissa, India, in two phases, that is from 1999 to 2002 and 2005 to 2008, in collaboration with Ministry of Economic Cooperation and Development, Government of Germany and Lebenshilfe. The organization also has conducted one Lifeline Express Health Camp at Kesinga Railway Station, Orissa, in Collaboration with Rajiv Gandhi Foundation, New Delhi and Impact India Foundation, Mumbai.
Legal Status :
Jewels International is registered under:
- Society Registration Act No. XXI of 1860,
Registration No. 11634/480 of 1977-78.
- Section 12-A of Income Tax Act. 1961
Registration No. Adm. (GL) 27/12-A/85-86
- U/s.80G (5) (vi) of Income Tax Act. 1961,
Registration No. ITO(Tech.)/ 80G-93/ 05-06/2006-07/1781, dated 12th July, 2006.
- Foreign Contribution Regulation Act. 1976
Registration No. 105020046 of 1987
- Persons with Disability Act., 1995
Registration No. 18/Women & Child Development Department, Govt. of Orissa, 2004
- National Trust Act., 1999
Registration No. 1812/CP-MR/2002
- Certificate of Importer – Exporter Code (IEC)
- District Industries Registration No. 1917 / 05/04/2003
- To promote the establishment of Institutions for the Education, Vocational Training and Rehabilitation of persons with Intellectual Disability and other categories of Disability.
- To conduct Health Programmes for the persons with and without disability in the State of Orissa
- To establish Centers for Psychological and Educational Services.
- To promote Research on Intellectual Disability and Allied subjects.
- To publish Books, Journals, and Literature in English, and Regional language (Oriya) on Disability, for the consumption of Professionals, Parents, Persons with Disability, and the Public
- To establish collaboration with other Voluntary, Government, and Semi-Government Organizations working in the field of Disability, Education and Health in India and Foreign Countries.
- To conduct National and International Trade with the objective to support Service Programmes for the Disabled.
- To run various University level Courses in collaboration with Indian and Foreign Universities.
- To conduct developmental programmes for the all-round development of Rural, Tribal and Slum Population; Women and Children.
Area of Operation & Foreign Linkage :
The organization is basically providing service to the persons with disability with a focus on the Intellectual disability in the State of Orissa, India. It has developed sister organizations in Germany and USA, in the name of Chetana, Germany, and Chetana, USA, with a view to develop collaboration with Government and Non-Government Organizations and interested individuals in Europe and America, to support service programmes for the Education, Vocational Training, and Rehabilitation of Persons with Disability in Orissa and India